Friday, June 30, 2006

The Skoda Fucking Amazing

I saw on the Shit Sandwich a reference to 'Sharons', a word that has simply slipped out of the English vocabulary. It has been replaced with the now universal 'Chav' (or if you live in Plymouth, 'Janner'). More's the pity, and you can always bank on the shit sandwich to rescue unloved and abandoned words.

As I pondered this fact outside my office today, a car pulled up, it was a VW Toerag, and I remembered that it was VW that also made the VW Sharon (much to the horror of the UK VW dealers). Which made me wonder why car manufacturers have such crap names for cars?

I mean, half of them seem to be named after Jazz mags (or the other way round, admittedly). The worst seems to be Skoda, I was most amused to see their Skoda Superb, apparently without even the slightest hint of irony. Almost as funny as the Skoda Fellatio.

Rather than trying to rescue the irreparably damaged Skoda name, they should have simply rebranded. It worked for Datsun and many others. And someone needs to tell VW what they can, and cannot, call cars in the UK.

No comments: