Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Not one of Brad's better films...


















Received this today, which reminded me of when I watched Troy. It was the funniest film I've ever seen. Perhaps I should explain...

I picked up a pirate copy from someone, something I've never really done before or since. I wouldn't usually recommend it, the quality was terrible. However, with Troy there was an unexpected but very welcome side-effect.

The film was entirely in English. But for some inexplicable reason, it also had English subtitles. Except the person that had written the English subtitles not only had a rather shaky grasp of the English language but also no knowledge whatsoever of the actual story of Troy itself.

So my initial irritation at the subtitles being there quickly turned into utter joy as the pearls started to appear on my TV screen... I quickly forgot how rubbish the film itself was... This was comedy of the highest order.

Some examples... Every time Ajax came on the screen, the subtitles would read "Hey Jack!" But my personal favourite: Priam, the King of Troy talking to his son Hector about Paris:

What he said: "Women have always loved Paris and he's loved them back."
What the subtitles said: "Women always love Paris and his lovely back"

I laughed for hours. I'm sure I still have this DVD somewhere, so if anyone wants a copy - just let me know.

No comments: