Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Who helps the helpless?

As many of you will know, I'm now a fully fledged Samaritan. Everyone knows the Samaritans, but there's a lot of misinformation about what it is we actually do. Some think the Sams are a religious organisation. Others consider us to be the suicide line, the last place to call when no one else will listen.

And we do get suicidal callers, who are at the end of their tether. But we also get all manner of people who have no one else to talk to. The Sams are not religious, volunteers do not impose their own religious, political, philosophical beliefs on people who get in touch. They have no agenda or allegiance to any particular movement. The Samaritans offer confidential, non-judgemental support to anyone and everyone, whether they are suicidal or not.

It has been one of the best things I've ever done. Obviously I cannot go into any detail about actual callers, but I've already helped some truly desperate people deal with some truly desperate situations. It's a remarkable feeling when you make such a difference to a total stranger's life. I would thoroughly recommend becoming a Samaritan to anyone.

If you want to make a difference and give more back to the world than just a donation each month, then go to the Samaritans website. It will be hard at times, but the training is first class. And I guarantee that if you do it, it will be easily the most rewarding thing you've ever done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work, Chez - having had another look at the Samaritan site and met your Sam friend over the w/e, I'll definitely be looking into it further. I'm not yet sure that I'd make the grade, and the "redeye shift" might have serious implications for my alcohol intake (albeit only once a month), but more importantly, I think it's a fantastic thing that you're doing.

Anonymous said...

I agree, I think its a wonderful thing you are doing. I'm so proud of you.