Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Novel Idea

They always say that adversity is the breeding ground of creativity. Don't they? They don't? I'm sure I heard them say that. I'll ask them next time I see them. But anyway, I've decided that it's about time I started doing some of the things I've been meaning to do for a long time. I don't mean things like 'wash socks' or 'hoover floor'. You can always buy more socks and if I hoover the floor, it will only get dirty again. It always does. No, I mean the REAL things I've been meaning to do, the ones on my list of things to do before I die.

So last night I started my novel. I took it so seriously, I actually started it twice. My first attempt was shit. Far too rambling, no real storyline or even thought as to what it was I was going to write. It actually read a little bit too much like a blog, but one of those self-obsessed MEEEEE blogs. So I decided to scrap that and write it in the third person. And I decided to not make it entirely about me but to have a storyline.

I've just finished the first chapter and I'm rather excited about it. I have the bare bones of a storyline. I've got the beginning down, I've set the scene, so to speak. I've got a vague idea about the ending, although I suspect that the ending will be clear within itself. I have a vague idea about the middle. I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be first in line at your book-signing. I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

I wrote a novel once. Well, not so much wrote as copy-and-pasted, "I hate you all" several thousand times.

"Quality over quantity," the publishers told me. Bastards. What do they know?

Anonymous said...

Great I can't wait, I can see you now getting the Booker Award, okay I know as Supermarket Chains go Booker is not as good as Asda or Tesco, but everybody has to start somewhere