Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Eng-er-land & Martin Tyler's bet

Just finished watching a rather disappointing match on Sky between England and France, which the French won 1-0. Even though it was only a 'friendly' (if such a thing can exist between England and France), I thought the boys played rather poorly. Unlike Derby County manager Paul Jewell, I thought they lacked penetration upfront. Let's hope Don Capello can bring out the best in us before the World Cup qualifiers start in September.

However, I can't help thinking that Sky commentator Martin Tyler won a secret bet during the game. I can't remember the name of the game - probably Office Bingo - but it was a game I used to play with friends during office meetings, or lately celebrity dinners.

The idea is, a friend will give you certain key words or phrases that you have to slip nonchalantly into the conversation, and you get points (or cash) for using those words in a proper sentence. To give you an idea, I was once at a 'celebrity' dinner, where I had the pleasure of sitting next to Biff from Emmerdale. I managed successfully to use the words 'Zebra', 'Avocado' and 'hung like an Iraqi Despot'.

And thus I was able to spot Mr Tyler's rather harsh but fair word drop during a mazy run by France's Frank Ribery. As Ribery tried to waste a bit more time late on in the match, Martin Tyler commented something along the lines of "...and Ribery is doing his best to win a bit of sanctuary for France late on..."

Apropos to nothing, here is a picture of said footballer, Frank Ribery. Yes, he does remind me of someone. At least, his face rings a bell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Frank Ribery" is also what a Chinese person would say if he saw someone wearing a particularly honest and open-looking coat of arms (livery... no? OK, maybe not.)

His "look" is due to the fact that he was in a very serious car crash in Boulogne aged 2, and has apparently (and for my money rather admirably), like Carlos Tevez, refused to have any kind of plastic surgery ever since. You callous bastard, Chez.