Sunday, September 02, 2007

Trip down Memory Lane

And when I got back from Kynance Cove, I drove up to Sheringham to spend a few days with my family on holiday. When I was a kid, this was where we always went on holiday. It was great to see the old places, although it was a lot smaller than I remember. Particularly Beeston Bump, which was like a mountain when I was small. Now it's not so much a mountain as a molehill. It has been partly eroded by the sea, but it's mainly wagon wheel syndrome - things seem much bigger when you're young.

My dad's family were all from here and it's one of the few places where I feel like I have some real roots. We saw where my Gran used to live and the gates that my great granddad made. It really felt good to be back where there are so many memories. I've moved around so much, I sometimes feel a bit like a nomad. Going to Sheringham was pretty grounding.

And I had a great time with my nephews, sister and her husband and my mum. We went crabbing on the beach and found the weirdest crab I've ever seen. Bit like a cross between a crab and a spider. All in all, it was a great holiday as the pics show!

The boys

Sheringham Beach

Me

Me & my sister

My nephew

The weird crab / spider

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you sure it was a 'Spider Crab' and not a spider pig?