Sunday, October 08, 2006

Greece is the Word

Taken from the balcony of a local restaurant in Tsilivi on my new camera phone





I had the best time on holiday as Zakynthos turned out to be OK. My hotel was in Tsilivi, which is on the north of the island, and it is definitely an English resort. But there were some excellent local tavernas, and the seafood was great. Only once was I tempted by the egg and chips brigade.

The weather was fantastic, the people were friendly and it really was exactly what I needed. It took me about two days to properly wind down, to get used to the fact that I had nothing to do! But by day three I got into the groove.

It ain't a holiday without a hat









Although I am very, very glad I went now and not in the Summer. Partly because it would have been about 45 degrees. And partly because I imagine Zakynthos to be a bit on the 18-30 side. And if I want to catch crabs on the beach, I'll go to Brixham.

The ruin of the Temple of Zeus at Olympia, birthplace of the Olympics.






Went to Olympia as well, which was rather cool. It's one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, so that's two I've seen now (the other being the pyramids at Giza). I think I'd like to see the other five now. One of those 'things to do before I die' things, I think.

And, just like last year when I went to Ibiza, I had some rather great revelations, although I won't go into them here. But it's amazing what you learn about yourself when you take a bit of time to quieten your mind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time, although I'm incredibly jealous of you getting to go to Olympia.

Oh, and everyone knows Southend is the place to catch crabs.

Anonymous said...

The holiday definately agreed with you, everyone spent the weekend saying how good you look,
These crabs, we are talking the nippy nippy sort are'nt we?

Anonymous said...

Oh by the way, the photos are fab.

Anonymous said...

Loved the photos why was I not invited? I need a holiday, all this fillings in forms from the social is exhausting and having to take my employer to a tribunal, well thats just too much.
I hate to disagree with my sweet, but I think you've obviously not seen the eighth wonder of the world; Dave's porch during a thunder storm. You've never seen water coming through the roof at such a rate that when it hits the saucepans underneath, it's music to the ears as well as a sight to behold.
You are welcome any time in the rainy season.
Aunty Helly xx