Monday, October 16, 2006

Hidden Beauty...

I found one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, no more than 15 minutes away from my house. It really is remarkable to think that this place was here all along and I never even knew. I've only lived down here for 5 years.

Picture taken from Burrator dam.









It's called Burrator Reservoir, and is simply stunning. I got out of the car and thought I was in Canada or Scotland. I actually half-expected to see a bear or wolf walking past. Remarkable to think that this is actually man-made.

It's at moments like this I really know why I live here. After years of living in cities around Europe, I never fail to be amazed at the fact that I only have to drive 10 minutes in pretty much any direction to see such stunning beauty, you know you are alive.

We walked over the dam, which is beautiful in itself. The whole dam is covered with granite, so although it's man-made, it doesn't look out of place. We found a woodland just over the dam:

Picture taken from the woodland, next to Burrator dam.






It was like walking through my childhood. I'd forgotten how a wood smells in the autumn... Picking chestnuts, beech nuts, hazelnuts... Remember puffballs? Those round mushroom things that puff a type of smoke out when you stand on them... It has probably been 15 years since I was last in a wood. I love the vibe of living in a city; but it's only when you get back to where you are from that you really feel alive.

So I now have a new mission. I'm going to go out and find what this beautiful part of the world has hidden away. If anyone wants to join me, you're more than welcome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like I should bring my fishing gear next time.

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely have to come and visit you when I'm at uni. I've never been to that part of the country.

Was it, like every forest your parents have ever taken me to, a 'magic' forest? I believe they were still getting me with that one when I was twelve.

Anonymous said...

Happy days, I still believe in the 'magic' forest Zo and I'm 45 years old
( ok, ok 54 ).

Anonymous said...

I'm packing my pallet and my paints as we speak, It looks absolutly fantastic, Can't wait for our next visit, you really are lucky having such amazing scenery on your doorstep.

Chez Guevara said...

Medium-sized Zoe, you are always welcome to come visit. Always happy to show Devon 'virgins' around. (Insert own joke here)