Wednesday, November 15, 2006

En-ger-land! Ho-ll-and!

I will not be watching t'football tonight as again I will be busy. And to be honest, I think I'm lucky to not have to watch it. I can't imagine that Engerland will suddenly be any good, after being shit in their previous few games.

Although Ruud Gullit did make me laugh. I liked Ruud Gullit as a player. Not only was he one of the most gifted players of his generation, he had a quite amazing moustache. However, since he stopped playing, I have to say I like him less...

"I don't know what is wrong with England," says a confused Ruud Gullit. "The Dutch have a system that works, whereas England don't."

It's hard to argue with Gullit, who can point to the 2006 World Cup, where England were knocked out in the quarter-finals and Holland made it all the way to the... erm... second round. Or Euro 2004, where both countries were knocked out by Portugal. Erm. Well then, how about the World Cup in 2002, when England again stumbled at the quarter-final stage and Holland... Oh. Didn't qualify.

Yes, if only we had a system that works as well as the Dutch, all our problems would be over.

I am predicting a dull match, with England once again failing to raise to the occasion. I don't know if we'll lose... But expect a low-scoring match from the English perspective. I wouldn't be surprised to see Beckham back in the next squad if things don't go well here.

No comments: